Credit Boost Blog
Secret Ways to Remove Hard Inquiries From Credit Reports
Remove hard inquiries from your credit report with this game-changing information:
Here, we will walk you through how to remove hard inquiries from your credit report as fast as humanly possible. We’ll start with an example. Say you go to the BMW car dealership, and BMW Finance tries to get you approved for financing on a car. This scenario can apply to any car brand – Mercedes, etc. Your credit score is low, and typically a FICO score of around 700 is preferred. Still, you apply to finance a vehicle and expect just one inquiry as a result of the process, only to find out you got hit with many more than just one. Keep in mind, their only job is to get you approved for a vehicle. Therefore, they shop you to every subprime lender known to man, and you end up walking away with 10 to 15 inquiries. Those inquiries don’t have to be there.
First, it is important to understand the difference between a soft vs hard inquiry:
- Soft inquiries are usually a result of when lenders do a pre-authorization on, for example, a credit card pre-approval you received in the mail. The soft pull will not impact your credit
- A hard inquiry is when you give authorization with your “wet” signature – which is typically verified through something like your social security card, driver’s license, etc. With a hard inquiry, even when you are approved, it could still cost you one or two points and the inquiry will stay on for 24 months. However, if you are using a computer and applying for something, since there’s no wet signature, they must verify it was you behind that computer. The burden of proof is on them, not you.
We will explain more below, but the main point is that it is important to know the law if you would like to remove hard inquiries from your credit report as fast as humanly possible.
There is something called “604 Act” in the Fair Credit Reporting Act. 604 Act states that the burden of proof is on lenders and credit bureaus to prove it was you who applied and that your “wet” signature was used, which is usually on something like your social security card, driver’s license, etc. If they don’t prove this, you can take them to small claims court.
Here are the specific steps for how to remove hard inquiries from your credit report:
- First, go to SageStream and place a security freeze on your credit report. SageStream is a public record company and is where the credit bureau will verify the inquiry.
- Second, go to LexisNexis and place a security freeze there as well. Credit bureaus will verify inquiries and public records here as well. They’re not going to lenders to verify this, they’re going to the major companies and these companies hold your data.
- Once you’ve placed those two freezes, you will need to certify mail your 604 Act letter:
- Print your 604 Act letter
- On a separate piece of paper, list the inquiries you believe are negative, incorrect, unduly, unfair, obsolete, etc. Remember, the burden of proof is on them, not you
- You will 2-day certify mail your 604 Act letter, as well as the inquiries you believe are not yours, and you will be sending them to each of the credit bureaus
- Just remember, you must have the two freezes placed first because the credit bureaus are going to try to verify the information with SageStream and LexisNexis, but they will be frozen. Moreover, don’t send your 604 letter with a wet signature
If The Inquires Are Not Removed
In about three-four weeks you will be notified about whether the inquiries were verified (and staying) or will be deleted. Below are some tips for inquiries that do not come off.
Tip for newer inquiries:
Newer inquiries, meaning anything in the most recent 60 days are slightly tougher to get removed. Is it still possible? Of course.. it will just be tougher. For example, say you applied for a credit card online, how do they know it’s you behind the computer, and not somebody else? They’re not checking IP addresses. When you go to a dealership and try to finance a car, you don’t authorize them to hit you with 15 inquiries. Mortgage company, same thing. This is more prevalent with vehicles, but it does happen with mortgages as well. They are just going to shop you around until they get you approved.
However, those inquiries do not need to be there. Remember, it’s possible they did not follow the law, yet they have the burden of proof. Inquiries take 25 months to automatically fall off from the time applied, so if you don’t recognize them or didn’t authorize certain inquiries, you have the right to challenge them and they have the burden of proof.
Tip strictly for credit cards:
Do not dispute any inquiry on an active credit card you just got within the last 60 days. If you do this, certain credit cards will actually put a freeze on your card, or possibly even cancel your credit card and close it down, because it’s a newly active account. If you’ve been denied, you don’t have a newly active credit card account, and you want to challenge an inquiry because you don’t believe it’s yours (i.e. it wasn’t me, I was a victim of identity theft, I don’t recognize it, it’s unfair, unduly or incorrect), you can do that. It won’t mess anything up because you didn’t get approved.
A recap of your to-do list to remove hard inquiries from your credit report:
- Place freezes at both SageStream and LexisNexis
- Print your 604 Act letter, but do not sign it. If you want to type out your signature, that’s fine, just don’t sign it with a pen or a pencil
- On a separate piece of paper, list the inquiries you are saying are not yours
- Attach the two together, staple them and send copies to each credit bureau
- Send them as certified mail—go to USPS only (not FedEx or UPS)
- Wait 15 to 30 days
- They will come back, either verified or not
- If it comes back verified, the burden of proof STILL falls on them. From there, you can take them to small claims court, or you can have a professional help you
At the Credit Game, our programs show you step-by-step, in order with videos, the proprietary letters and all the information you need to take care of collections, judgements, foreclosures, repos, student loans, etc. These are 2 to 3 minute videos, walking you through the process all the way up to you at USPS saying, “Hey, here’s my letter.” It’s a simple plug-and-play. All you have to do is fill in your information where it’s highlighted and mail it. We practically hold your hand through the entire process. Just give us a call, and we’ll help you.
We Can Help
We’ve have a decade’s experience, and a phenomenal system called “The Credit Game”. We give you the education to help you change your life. Just remember, this is for adults only. Sandboxes are for kids, credit is for adults.
We can help you remove the negative information. If you need help adding tradelines, putting on the positives, we can help with that too. We then educate you so you never go backwards again. Our founder, Mike learned the Credit Game, and took himself from a 515 credit score into the 800s, and never went back because of the Credit Game platform he put together.
So give us a call today. All it will cost you is 15 minutes on the phone. If it's for you, we'll put something together, we'll make it work:
☝️ Click to call ☝️
We offer free credit evaluations.
Send Us A Message
If you have a specific question, please complete this form and we will get back to you ASAP!